This is a very easy butterfly craft but looks great! You can make butterflies out of most silk flowers, but we found that flowers with 6 or 8 petals to be the easiest - meaning when you separate the flower into it's separate layers, one layer has 6 or 8 petals. You can use these butterflies for many things. They make great decorations and hair bows. You can make big butterflies or small butterflies depending on your flower.
Supplies needed to make a Butterfly from Silk Flowers:
- Silk (fake) flowers, preferably ones that each layer has 6 or 8 petals
- String or cording that you use to string beads (or anything else you have to use for the antennae) You want this string to be thick enough that it will stay standing straight when cut into small pieces
- Craft glue or low-temp glue gun (if you want to make them faster)
- Rhinestones or Beads to use for center
Directions to make a Butterfly from Silk Flowers:
- First, separate all the layers of the flower by taking out the plastic center of the flower
- Place a little glue in the middle of the flower and fold either 2 (if you start with 6 petals) or 4 (if you start with 8 petals) of the petals over the others (so that you 2 wings on either side to make it look like a butterfly). See the pictures:
- Cut antennae out of your beading string and you can glue on the back if you are going to use it so the back doesn't show. Or you can glue them on the front and make it part of the body.
- If you add the antenae to the front, when you add the glue you can pinch the butterfly closed a little to make the wings sticking up some
- If you want you can glue Rhinestones or beads down the center of the butterfly to make its body.